This is an Easter cake, called «Mona de Pascua» in Spain, traditionally made with eggs, milk, butter and refined flour. For my cake, I use all natural ingredients and make it completely raw vegan. The original cake is made with layers of biscuit and cream. Mine is full of flavor like the original one but is much healthier and nutritious! Surprise your family and friends with this traditional cake during spring break.
1/2 cup of walnuts
1/2 cup of cashews
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
4 medjool dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3 cups of cashews
1 1/2 cup of almond milk
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon of agave syrup
1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup of coconut butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons agave
Waluts or almonds (to garnish)
1. Place all the ingredients for the biscuit in the food processor and pulse until a dough is formed. Divide the biscuit dough in three parts. Press one of the parts in a torte pan with a removable bottom.
2. Blend all whipped cream ingredients. Pour a little bit of the mixture on top of crust and save the rest for the other layers.
3. Put the cake with the first two layers in the freezer for 20 minutes or so (until it firms up).
4. Remove the cake from the freezer.
5. Roll the other two parts of the biscuit dough into 1/8 inch circle and place one of them on top of the already frozen cream.
6. Add a little bit of whipped cream on top of the biscuit to create the second cream layer.
7. Repeat steps 3 to 6 once more.
8. Place the cake back in the freezer. Freeze until the cake reaches the desired consistency (5 hours or so).
9. Blend the icing ingredients. Pour and spread the icing on top of the frozen cake. Garnish with chopped nuts (walnuts or almonds) and freeze again until firm.
10. Defrost the cake for about 20 min before serving.